INFORMATION AND GUIDELINES AFTER BARIATRIC SURGERY
After the surgery:
Drink at least 1.5 litres of fluid every day
Stop drinking when you feel full.
Avoid extreme temperatures (extreme hot or cold).
No carbonated beverages, no alcoholic beverages.
Consuming between four and six smaller meals every day instead of three large ones.
200 ml/g food during meals.
Do not skip meals; have at least 3 meals per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
Stop eating when you feel the sense of fullness.
Choose foods that have less than 5 grams of sugar per serving.
Choose foods that are high in protein.
Aim for at least 60 grams of protein intake per day.
Some good protein suggestions are:
– Seafood, Dairy – Low fat, sugar-free yogurt without visible fruit pieces; Low fat cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, farmer’s cheese or other soft cheeses.
– Eggs –egg whites or whole eggs (no more than 1 egg yolk per day): boiled, omlet
– Poultry – Turkey, chicken, game hen, duck breast; Deli such as roast turkey breast or chicken breast – canned or fresh.
– Legumes – Black beans, kidney (red) beans, garbanzo beans, white beans, lentils etc.; Hummus and pureed beans may be well tolerated.
– Tofu, Meat – Ham (red meat and pork may be difficult to digest; always check your tolerance level); Low sodium, rind-less, no sugar added cold-cuts and deli meats – canned or fresh.
Look for foods that are good sources of fiber and have at least 3 grams per serving.
Choose food that is low fat and contains less than 30% of calories from fat:
Choose food that has less than 10% of calories from saturated fat. Choose foods that are low cholesterol.
Choose food that has less than 1% of trans fat.
Choose foods that have less than 300 mg of sodium per serving.
To meet your vitamin and mineral needs, make sure you take your daily supplements.
Adult Multivitamin with Iron Daily (Iron: 45–60 mg/day).
Calcium Citrate (1200–1500 mg/d (3 times a day) with Vitamin D (1000 IU/d.).
Vitamin B Complex: Thiamine should be in the dosage of 75–100 mg/day; Vitamin B12 500 mcg sublingual pill/day or 1 cc injection monthly.
If you start to have hair loss or broken nails, start taking zinc 15 mg/day and biotin 3000 mcg/day for 2 months.
Please contact the Clinic if you have any questions, you will find the contact information at www.ambersurgery.com, phone number 00353876691441
On receiving and reading Important Information for the Patient will be deemed to have read and agreed to all conditions and provisions contained in this Information Sheet