Rediscover your confidence with a mommy makeover
The birth of a child is a wonderful and life-changing event, but it can leave lasting changes on a woman’s body that may affect her self-esteem. Diet and exercise might not be enough to regain your pre-pregnancy shape.
In such cases, a Mommy Makeover (MMO), a complex plastic surgery, can enhance the appearance of areas such as the abdomen, breasts, buttocks, genitals, or other dissatisfying regions. The primary types of MMO procedures include:
- Breast augmentation
- Breast lift
- Buttocks augmentation
Who is eligible for a Mommy Makeover?
Generally, MMO surgery is performed on women who have experienced multiple pregnancies or given birth to more than one child. However, in specific cases, a Mommy Makeover can be considered after the first pregnancy if the patient does not plan to have more children. This surgery can also benefit women who have undergone significant weight loss.
Preparation for a Mommy Makeover:
- BMI: It is recommended to undergo MMO only after achieving and maintaining your ideal weight. Your body mass index (BMI) should not exceed 30.
- Breastfeeding: Waiting for at least six months after finishing breastfeeding allows your hormones to normalise, your weight to stabilise, and your body to recover from the post-pregnancy changes.
- Smoking: It is advisable to quit smoking for at least three weeks before and after the operation to minimise the risk of blood clotting complications.
What to expect from the surgery?
- Breasts: During pregnancy and breastfeeding, hormonal changes can cause significant breast enlargement, especially for first-time mothers. After breastfeeding, the mammary glands reduce in size, but the skin and breast ligaments do not fully return to their original state. During an MMO, breasts can be lifted or enlarged with implants. If a woman is dissatisfied with the increased breast size, they can also be made smaller and lifted.
- Abdomen: As the fetus grows, the placenta increases in size, leading to stretching of the abdominal muscles. Abdominal muscle diastasis is common during the last trimester of pregnancy and may persist after childbirth. Many women complain of a protruding abdomen that cannot be resolved through exercise and diet. In such cases, the abdominal muscles may need to be sutured. Different types of tummy tuck procedures are available, including full abdominoplasty, mini abdominoplasty (which includes diastasis correction), or liposuction.
- Other procedures: When a woman experiences weight gain and loss due to pregnancy, excess skin often remains on the breasts and abdomen, but it can also affect the thighs and arms. While less common than abdominal and breast surgeries, other body-shaping or restorative procedures may be performed as necessary, such as buttock augmentation and labiaplasty.
What to expect after the surgery?
- Healing: Thread removal is unnecessary after a Mommy Makeover. However, the incision wounds should be protected, and you may only wash them 3-4 days after the operation. Pain in the incision areas is common during the early postoperative period, but medication will be prescribed to alleviate it. Swelling, bruising, and decreased sensation may persist for several weeks. Wearing compression clothing for minimum 8 weeks is recommended.
- Scarring: Scarring is a significant concern for women considering any surgical procedure. With time, the scars tend to fade and become less prominent, although they do not completely vanish. However, this minor inconvenience is overshadowed by the significant boost in self-confidence you will experience.
- Physical activity: To prevent complications, we advise refraining from lifting objects weighing more than 5 kg for a minimum of three months. The same precaution applies to engaging in active physical activities and sports.
A guide for a smooth recovery
Recovering from mommy makeover surgery, which typically involves multiple procedures like breast augmentation, tummy tuck, and liposuction, requires special care and attention. Here is a guide to help ensure a smooth recovery:
- Follow your surgeon’s instructions: Your surgeon will provide detailed postoperative instructions specific to your mommy makeover procedure. It is important to follow these instructions carefully for optimal healing and to minimise the risk of complications. This may include medication usage, wound care, wearing compression garments, and activity restrictions.
- Maintain a healthy diet: Eating a nutritious diet rich in vitamins, minerals, and protein can support the healing process. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and avoid excessive sodium intake, as it can contribute to swelling.
- Gradually increase physical activity: Follow your surgeon’s guidance on when to start light physical activity and gradually increase your level of exercise. Engaging in low-impact activities like walking can help improve circulation and promote healing.
- Be patient with the results: It is important to have realistic expectations and understand that final results may take time to fully manifest. Swelling and changes in shape are normal during the early stages of recovery. Give your body ample time to heal and trust the process.
Remember, each individual’s recovery experience may differ, and it is important to consult with your surgeon for personalised guidance and advice throughout your recovery journey.
To achieve the best possible outcomes, it is advisable to undergo a series of personalised lymph drainage massages following your surgery. Amber Surgery clinic in Dublin provides post-operation clients with lymphatic massages at discounts of up to 50% (bookings available from 23rd of June)