Bikini Line Gastric Sleeve is a surgical procedure that involves removing a large portion of your stomach through 4 small incisions in the abdominal wall.
Bikini Line Gastric Sleeve surgery is performed under general anesthesia and takes about two hours to complete. 4 small incisions are made in the abdominal wall: 3 of them in the bikini area, and one in the navel area.
The aesthetic (bikini line) gastric sleeve is a modification of the most popular surgical operation for obesity at the moment – the gastric sleeve (sleeve gastrectomy). Doctor of bariatric (obesity) and abdominal surgery dr. Donatas Danys was the first in Europe to perform this type of operation at “Gijos Clinic”.
During the operation, approximately 80 percent of the stomach is removed and the rest of the pouch is sealed using medical staples. In order to prevent any leakage after a patient starts consuming food, the staples are then manually stitched over and a fluid test is done while the patient is still on the operating table. The new stomach acquires a shape somewhat similar to a sleeve or banana. The stomach retains all of its previous functions, therefore, food can still be digested properly. The biggest change is a significantly decreased feeling of hunger. Moreover, the patient feels full faster and can eat smaller portions of food.
Who is eligible for this surgery?
- You typically qualify for bariatric surgery if you have a BMI higher than 35. A BMI of 30 to 35 is considered sufficient for undergoing bikini line gastric sleeve surgery if a patient is present with type 2 diabetes or arterial hypertension.
What to expect from this surgery?
- After bikini line gastric sleeve surgery a patient should expect to spend 2 days at the hospital.
- You will be recommended to start drinking water in small sips already in the first few hours after the surgery. The first 3-4 days after the surgery you will drink only water under the control of medical personnel.
- You will be advised to start walking the same or the next day after the surgery.
- You will be given pain medications to control pain.
- Exercise is important in the recovery from any operation. Walking is one of the most effective forms of exercise for this purpose. Later a regular daily exercise program is highly recommended. Physical exercise improves muscle tone while you are losing weight. About six weeks after surgery you should be able to tolerate all but the most strenuous exercises.
- A specific diet will also have to be followed
How much weight do you lose in the first month after bikini line gastric sleeve?
Most patients lose between 2-4 lbs (0.9-1.8kg) every week for about 6-12 months.
An average of 60 percent of excess weight can be lost within the first two years.
A guide for smooth recovery
Bikini Gastric Sleeve surgery is most effective when combined with healthy lifestyle changes. Patients are advised to adopt a balanced diet, engage in regular physical activity, and make long-term behavior modifications to support their weight loss journey.
To achieve the best possible outcomes, it is advisable to undergo a series of personalised lymph drainage massages following your surgery. Amber Surgery clinic in Dublin provides post-operation clients with lymphatic massages at discounts of up to 50% (bookings available from 23rd of June)